The History of Sangre De Cristo Parish is a testimonial to the tenacious faith of the Pobladores and their progeny, and a witnessing of generations of priests and nuns who faithfully ministered to the people of Costilla County.
The Sangre De Cristo Parish was established and assigned a pastor (Father J.V. Montaño) in 1881. The 1889 directory of churches in Colorado verifies that the parish was named Sangre de Cristo.
Father Samuel Garcia, finished constructing the church in San Luis in 1894, in addition to building and renovating mission churches and establishing a school and parish compound. Father Garcia added transepts to the parish church, transforming the single nave into a cruciform plan. He also organized construction of churches at Fort Garland, San Pablo, and Los Fuertes.
The existing religious spaces belonging to Sangre de Cristo Parish reflects the values, aspirations, spiritual outlook, and faith of families who have resided in Costilla County for multiple generations.
Information came from “A Brief History of Sangre De Cristo Parish Church and its Missions” Written by: Maria Mondragon Valdez.